COMPANY INFO: New York based alternative investment firm with over 20B AUM
DESCRIPTION: The Tax Associate will be the only other one in the tax department apart from the Tax Director and will also work with the following departments: Accounting, Legal/Compliance and Investor Relations/Marketing.
- Prepare quarterly income tax allocations for various private equity funds
- Prepare quarterly income tax provisions for domestic and foreign blocker corporations and quarterly estimated payments as applicable
- Prepare quarterly income and asset diversification tests, excise tax analysis for BDC and REIT vehicles
- Prepare quarterly and annual withholding 1441 FDAP and 1446 ECI, and multistate withholding tax calculations for fund investors
- Coordinate with external tax advisers on tax return filings, quarterly market discount calculations, etc.
- Coordinate with portfolio companies to obtain quarterly and annual tax information
- Maintain tax basis calculations for funds and limited partners
- Review annual federal and state income tax return filings including Forms 1065, 8865, 5471, 8621, 926, 1120, 1120-RIC, 1120-REIT, etc. for all entities
- Review and prepare annual ASC 740 analyses for all funds
- Assist in FATCA/CRS/CDOT reporting including registration and classification of new entities, annual reporting, etc.
- Assist in annual DE tax filings
- Respond to investor inquiries
- Respond to IRS and state tax notices
- Research tax issues as applicable
- Assist deal teams on tax related matters
- Assist in the preparation of check the box elections and analysis of impact of new fund structures
- Monitor and evaluate impact of new tax legislation and developments
- 3-5 years public accounting tax experience
- Industry experience /exposure to alternative assets including private equity, hedge fund, BDCs and REITs
- Familiarity with private equity and hedge fund tax compliance issues such as partnership allocation mechanics including waterfalls, fee waivers, carry, stuffing and incentive allocations
- Familiarity with both domestic and international tax issues including UBTI, U.S. trade or business issues, branch profits tax, etc.