Company Info: Large real estate investment manager with a great culture based in New York
- Developing and managing implementation of policies and procedures resulting from changes in authoritative guidance, industry standards, regulatory rules and process improvement initiatives.
- Working directly with investment accounting teams to ensure policy changes are relevant across product types prior to implementation.
- Maintaining the firm’s Portfolio Accounting Standards, external audit narratives and SOX controls narratives.
- Developing protocol and governance standards for investment accounting and reporting systems.
- Serving as investment accounting lead for firm initiatives related to accounting systems, treasury operations, corporate finance, compliance, marketing, and other areas within the firm.
- Participating in industry work groups and network with industry peers on identify best practices in reporting, operations, processes, and technology.
- Investment Accounting/Reporting Systems
- Serving as business lead for investment accounting system implementation, investor reporting system upgrades and debt database changes.
- Coordinating and participating in testing efforts around systems implementations and upgrades.
- Instituting effective internal controls around system permissions, rule sets, and overall operations.
- Developing procedures and training programs for investment accounting and reporting systems.
- Managing the firm’s internal audit program covering financial controls at the service provider, joint venture, and investment accounting levels.
- Establishing monitoring mechanism to ensure ongoing compliance with Portfolio Accounting Standards and SOX controls.
- Overseeing SOC-1 readiness assessment and eventual report issuances around investment accounting and reporting functions.
- Serving as central investment accounting and reporting contact for external audit firms related to firm policies and procedures.
- Serving as central investment accounting and reporting contact for SOX audits.
- Management and Staffing
- Manage and lead business staff who support the internal controls and systems functions.
- 7+ Years of investment accounting experience, preferably in real estate fund space.
- Certified Public Accountant or advanced degree in accounting.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- Excellent Excel skills.
- Project management experience with rolling out new initiatives.
- Yardi or other real estate or private equity accounting system experience.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.